Labs of Innovation and Business for Young Actors of start Up
Libya Up is an innovative project aimed at enhancing the competitiveness of Libyan Universities through the establishment of Technology Transfer Offices. This project has been selected under the Erasmus+ Programme Call ‘Joint Projects’. The aim of the project is to improve Libyan HEIs’ role for the economic and social development of the country. The objective is to enhance HEIs specific capacities to connect academia and research activities to the labour market and civil society trough the establishment of Technology Transfer Offices (TTOs), by fostering an innovative culture in the universities and local government HEIs in Libya need support, on the one hand, in improving their internal organizational capacity and on the other hand, in networking and coordinating to gain international visibility and to maximize the impact of their work. They have to play a stronger role in order to be active actors and to promote innovation processes. Actually, there are several universities with a high level in academic community that could revolutionize process by exploiting research results. TTOs represent the academic window on the market, it will give visibility to ideas and researches of the Libyan Universities giving them a role in the promotion of innovation and creativity, enhancement of social dialogue and accompaniment of youth to labour market. Thus, the project, after a thorough analysis of the legal, social and economic situation of Libya, as well as of the level and the potentialities of scientific and technological research in the Universities, will be aimed at developing a complete and updated academic system on the subject of the valorisation and exploitation of the academic research results.
Its specific objectives are:
- To enhance Libyan HEIs specific capacities to connect academia and research activities to the labour market and civil society trough the design and establishment of TTOs – Technology Transfer Offices in the involved Libyan Universities;
- To develop the networking among Libyan Academic institutions so as to maximize the synergies between them and the sharing of knowledge and experiences regarding the technological transfer process;
- To improve the operational functioning of the TTOs by strengthening their quality and management so as to guarantee better results of operations:
- To improve Libyan HEIs’ role for the economic and social development of the country;
- To stimulate the entrepreneurial spirit and abilities of HEI’s staff in order to propose innovative actions.
Its main expected outcomes are:
- Designed and Implemented Technological Transfer Offices (TTOs) in the Libyan Universities project partners, also thanks to the extensive training which will be delivered to the staff; development of skills and experiences in the applying the research outcomes; the creation of a TTO will be the tool to address this need. The TT Offices are official entity in charge of exploitation research in HEI. Better use of the potential of academic research through the TTOs.
- The creation of a network among TTOs and the advantages of the synergies coming from knowledge sharing. Improved national role of Universities: the importance of dialogue, collaboration and exchange of experiences that are at the base of the creation of a national network of HEIs, are the only way to raise the voice and to design a new social role for Universities. In fact, the internal Libyan political and social divisions and conflicts are undermining the national educational institution that have reached excellent level of knowledge and reputation;
- An e-learning platform with online courses on the functioning of TTOs and an online repository for e-learning (OERTT) made available to all interested parties;
- Fostered innovation culture and approach within the Academy; TTOs and their network will spread innovative tools and methodologies to academia and its actors; Improved capacities of the TTOs personnel about their functioning, methods for implementation on the target territory.
- Enhanced employability opportunities of students and promoted entrepreneurial perspective; the project foresees a specific training action dedicated to researchers and professors to enhance their abilities and capabilities to guide the students to dialogue with and enter in the labour market and to discover possible emerging sectors for start-up, by means of boosted innovative tools served by TTOs;
- Boosted University brand in society at large and in the international scenario; the local political instability is a critical factor of isolation of the country and of course of its entire educational system. The creation of the international network is the way to “switch on the light”, in North Africa and in EU countries, on positive capital of Libya and on its importance to support the reconstruction of the social structure;
- Enhanced presence and connection of the Libyan Universities on the European scenario, by diversifying the national and international image of the local market with reference to fields of action and structural characteristics.
|Project Acronym||LIBYA UP|
|Programme||European Commission, Erasmus+, KA2 – Capacity-building in the Field of Higher Education|
|EPPKA2 – Cooperation for innovation and the exchange of good practices|
|Lead Contractor||Link Campus University (LCU)|
|Partners||School of Advanced Social Studies, Slovenia; Paragon Europe, Malta; University of Benghazi, Libya; Bright Star University, Libya; Elmergib University, Libya; University of Gharyan, Libya; Misurata University, Libya; Sebha University, Libya; Gulf of Sidra University, Libya; Sirte University, Libya, University of Tripoli, Libya; University of Zawia, Libya.|
|Project Duration||From 15/11/2019 to 14/11/2022|
|Contact Person||Dr. Raffaele Longo|